Friday, April 11, 2008

my hair is too short - again

I have - once again - trimmed my bangs much too short.

Here's the thing: I have thick hair. So thick, that it prevents me from appreciating long hair, because it always gets tangled. I'm stuck having to brush my hair at least 4 or 5 times a day because it gets so knotty, therefore eliminating the possibility of having a 'pretty' hair do.

No pretty curls for me, they'd get combed out in like an hour. That is, of course, assuming that my hair style doesn't drop and fall in the meantime because my hair is so thick.

It's no wonder that my mom kept my hair in such a short 'do when I was a kid. But in high school, I decided to grow out my hair because I desperately wanted (for the first time in my life) to be able to tie it back into a pony tail, or a french braid, or something pretty, the way that all the other girls seemed to do. Well, I grew out that hair, and was sourly disappointed at how knotty it aways seemed to get, and the upkeep was just a pain in the rear.

So, tragically, in my early 20's, my hair got chopped up again after years of frequent-combing aggrivation.

But - here's the rub - I can't cut my hair too short. My face is much too round to be able to compliment a cute little 'do, and also with too short hair, I would get mistaken for a guy. Yes, I've one of those faces where there's not a whole lot feminine about me, so having a certain length is a requirement. So, I'm stuck with a plain ol' bob, and even to that, there's minimal variation.

I've also become accustomed to having my hair cut at home. Yes, there's just so many things wrong with that sentence. But, growing up, more often than not, my hair was cut at home. The advantage that I had was having someone with better perspective and I (usually) ended up with a nice cut. Unfortunately, I've fooled myself into thinking that I can cut my own hair.

Granted, I've had a few occasions where despite only using my own hands and a couple skillfully placed mirrors, I came out with a decent (although plain) cut, but a few times my hair came out too short, too squarish, or too chunky looking. It very much looked like a non-professional had their hand to it.

And today, it was no exception.

I was just so frustrated, the last few days, of this in-between hair style that I've had. It's been a few months since I've last been to a salon to get it cut. Good sense would've brought my behind to a salon today, since I was so annoyed, or at least waited until the weekend to have a decent chop, but oh no, I just had to pull out those scissors, didn't I?

I had dyed my hair ages ago. It's growing out. I wanted to see how short my hair would be if I cut all the dyed part off, just leaving the new roots. I thought it was long enough. I decided to experiment - of all places - with the front, and create bangs.

I am not a bangs person.
And, my hair is too short.
We have insult added to injury. It's official.

I even took a picture of my too-short bangs. I was going to post it on the blog post today. But, at this last minute, I'm not going to. It's bad enough that I've to put myself and the people I live with through my too-short-hair misery, there's no sense in putting anyone else through it too.

I am never, ever cutting my own hair again. Take my scissors away. Please.

No comments: