These are wickedly easy to make, which is why I love them.
Materials: 1 ball of yarn, any tension, and appropriate crochet hook recommended for the swatch.
+++ Work from the top down. +++
1) SC enough stitches to wrap around your fingers semi-loosely. Join.
2) Chain 2 (this counts as first dc). DC (double crochet) around in each sc, join.
3) Repeat step two until dc rounds to cover at least from your first knuckle to your thumb.
4) Keeping the yarn joined, sc enough chains to go around your thumb. Join 2nd or 3rd on a dc from the last row from beg. Continue to dc on sc stitches for thumb.
5) Repeat step two for one round.
6) Next round: Repeat step two, but dc2tog just before joining at the end of the round.
7) Repeat step 5 and 6 three more times.
8) Repeat step 2 for at least 1 inch for wrist.
I, being as maticulous as I am, did both at the same time to ensure that they're both exactly the same, although what's great about varigated yarn is that it almost seems like they're mismatched, but they're still cool. And yet warm!