Tuesday, December 5, 2006

committing random acts of recycling before getting committed....


No, your eyes deceive you not.... I've actually wasted time shredding plastic bags to make yet another plastic bag. And yes, I did bother to save those random yards of scraps of yarn to add to it.


To think, that one yard of this and one yard of that would currently be filling space in a landfill somewhere!


Want the pattern? Go through your grocery bags filled with more grocery bags, and neurotically shred them all, into inch thick strands, until at least 10 have been shredded. You may need more, who knows.


Mine was crocheted, using an 8mm crochet hook, but this can be knit as well. Sc at least 30 sts, or the width you want the bag to be. Dc in the 3rd sc, then dc to end. Dc across other side of sc. Close, 2 sc then dc around for a second row. Continue doing this until you get the height of bag you want. Incorporate scraps of yarn and beads wherever you want. I even hotglued a few ribbon roses I found in my crafting stash.


I've gotten quite a few compliments on this whenever I went to the market, everyone seemed to think that it's such a clever idea... although a bit of a pain in the arse to create, it does make for unique arm candy.

No comments: